Physiotherapy Vs. Massage for Lower Back Pain
Everyone suffers from back pains and aches. The severity and cause of your back troubles can help you determine the best treatment plan. Physiotherapy and massage therapy are two of the most popular treatments in Dubai. However, people can sometimes find it difficult to determine which of these treatments they may need.
Read along to get a better view on the differences between physiotherapy and massage therapy for pain relief.
Difference Between Physiotherapy & Back Massage
A massage therapy is purely hands-on. It predominantly focuses on your areas of tightness to help release the muscles of contracted state and encourage relaxation. It uses manual manipulation of soft body tissues, such as muscles, tendons, ligaments and connective tissues, to enhance your overall health and wellbeing.
Meanwhile, physiotherapy treats the underlying cause of your back pain. It involves a thorough diagnosis and assessment, and is used to treat people who have restricted mobility or pain occurring from an injury, illness or disability. This treatment helps individuals to regain movement and function through manual therapy and exercise.
Reasons You May Need Massage Therapy:
- Pregnancy – Prenatal massage is a therapeutic session that helps alleviate various symptoms associated with pregnancy, such as headaches, lower back pain, swelling and muscle tension.
- Anxiety and depression – People who experience frequent depression or anxiety can largely benefit from a massage therapy. It helps to stabilize mood by increasing serotonin and dopamine levels. It can also help you get a good night’s sleep.
- Pain – Regular massage helps to relieve muscle tension and pain caused by injuries or conditions like arthritis and fibromyalgia. This is done by way of several mechanisms, such as reducing inflammation; relaxing painful muscles, tendons, and joints; and promoting healing.
- Circulation improvement – Massage therapy can aid in circulation of both blood and lymph flow. The pressure created by a massage technique moves blood and other fluids through the congested areas.
Reasons You May Need Physiotherapy:
- Mobility concerns – From strains to broken bones, physiotherapy can help individuals regain mobility and balance after any injury.
- Stiff muscles – Individuals who have experienced sports injuries, fractures or back & neck sprains often opt for physiotherapy. This treatment involves joint mobilization and manipulation exercises to help reduce pain and muscle stiffness.
- Surgery – Physiotherapy is also frequently advised to patients to facilitate rehabilitation after certain surgeries. It is particularly beneficial for those needing ongoing treatments after procedures such as joint replacement or heart surgery.
- Old injuries – Pain from an old injury can sometimes resurface, especially if it wasn’t managed properly the first time. This can lead to recurring discomfort. Physiotherapy is designed to tackle not only recent injuries but also old injuries that are still showing symptoms.
At FCBS Dubai, we offer different pain relief treatments ranging from massage to physiotherapy, thus efficiently serving our clients and their unique individual needs. To know more about our services, call us on +971 4 3255481 or email us at email@example.com.